Today we did some further testflights with our DIY RSSI antenna tracker. Under normal conditions this would be fun, but in -5 degrees celsius and 30km/h wind its pretty nasty 😉 We are still having some difficulties but are confident that its only a matter of time until we solve them. The antenna used for this tracker is a 12-turn LHCP helical from chipsundgrips.
This graph shows the measured RSSI strength(black) where 100 is zero and ~230 is maximum reception. As you can see there is a lot of space for improvement. If we can solve the problems the sourcecode for this tracker will be released under GPLv3 so stay tuned 😉
EDIT: After we tried to improve this tracker, it was clear that is still not good enough for a safe tracking, so we stopped this project.