We used the GoPro Hero 1 and GoPro Hero 2 (which are identical to the GoPro Hero 3 White / Silver when it comes to image quality). The new GoPro 4 silver/black cams are really great but we don’t need 4K Video or very good low light quality, especially not when we need to pay for those goodies 380€ / 480€.
That’s the reason why I still use my old GoPro 2 and Leo has bought the SJ5000+ and I ordered the new Xiaomi Yi.
At the moment I think the most interesting HD cams for FPV pilots with a smaller budged are:
– Mobius / Runcam HD
– Xiaomi Yi
All of them have some pros and cons which are:
+ nice and aerodynamic form-factor
– battery life
– 720p 60fps pretty bad
– a little slow when it comes to fast changing exposures
+ fits in GoPro Mounts/cases
– strange colours (oversaturated blue sky)
– 60fps mode is a lie
+ good image quality and true 60fps 1080p Mode
+ display (although this is not important for me)
– slightly bigger than GoPro / SJ4000, so it might not fit in every GoPro Mount/Housing/Gimbal
– battery life
– colours (whitebalance is much better than SJ4000, but still not on par with a GoPro)
+ cheaper than SJ500+ but pretty similar image quality
+ good white balance
– many Yi cams are slighty out of focus (details in higher distances might be a little blurry)
– not compatible with most GoPro Style Housings/Mounts/Gimbals (slightly bigger than GoPro 3/4, exactly like the SJ5000+ and besides that the Lens positions and size is also a little different)
My Xiaomi Yi arrived today and after some research I decided to remove the plastic front and some hot glue that hold the lens in place, so I can change the focus on the lens.
After that modification, my Yi has a brilliant sharpness and it easily beats my GoPro 2 in almost every situation (same mediocre low light performance, better framerates/modes, sharper/better Image Quality, lighter etc.)
We will upload some footage from our cams (GoPro 2, Mobius, SJ5000+ and Xiaomi Yi) so that you can decide, which one might be the best for you.