Today we did some further testflights with our DIY RSSI antenna tracker. Under normal conditions this would be fun, but in -5 degrees celsius and 30km/h wind its pretty nasty 😉 We are still having some difficulties but are confident that its only a matter of time until we solve them. The antenna used for this tracker is a 12-turn LHCP helical from chipsundgrips.
This graph shows the measured RSSI strength(black) where 100 is zero and ~230 is maximum reception. As you can see there is a lot of space for improvement. If we can solve the problems the sourcecode for this tracker will be released under GPLv3 so stay tuned 😉
EDIT: After we tried to improve this tracker, it was clear that is still not good enough for a safe tracking, so we stopped this project.
If you use a Fatshark avaiator edition and you fly with the integrated receiver module, you can use the standard Fatshark LiPo without a problem, because a red light in the fatshark will warn you a few minutes before the battery is empty (battery life time ~1hour when using the integrated receiver, ~2,5hours).
But you will not be warned when you use an external receiver and because the Fatshark LiPo got no balancer connector, you can’t use your LiPo checker to make sure the LiPo got enough power for the next flight.
That’s why we recommend to buy a 2s 800mah LiPo and create two cable adapters (one for the FatShark connection and one for charging).
Of course you don’t need the charging adapter if you have the opportunity to charge your LiPo just by using the balancer connector.
Here is my soloution:
It is also possible to connect the FatShark to a LiPo that is at your groundstation if you prefer that.
We just want to let you know that Leo is actually working on a RSSI based arduino antenna tracker.
Today we did some test flights and after some bug fixing the tracker was able to find the copter and track it (only pan at the moment…tilt will come soon).
At the moment the tracker is not really able to find the position when we fly near to it (because the signal is at almost 100% in every direction) but when the copter was ~200m away, it worked!
Hopefully the tracker gets optimised and finished soon, so we can fly even further away without manual readjusting the antenna.
The CP Antenna test is still on our todo-list, but we will wait for better weather before we start it.
A few days ago we received the TBS69 Pixim Seawolf PFV cam from team-blacksheep. At the moment we are flying with a cheap 20€ ebay cam, a ~50€ Sony Super HAD II cam and a ~130€ globe-flight 520TVL GF-OSC HAD cam.
We will record some fpv footage with our ground-recorder to show you the picture quality and let you know what we think about the TBS69.
Due to the other projects and the weather conditions it could take some weeks till we will install the TBS69 and test it.
I really have to say that exploring a wood with the copter by fpv is so much fun!
Today we finally had acceptable weather and did some testflights with the flyduspider and Bennys new quad based on the flyduino centerplates. Both platforms perform nice and we will definitly show some awesome copter videos in this season.
Update: Here is a small video from yesterday…
it was cold, it was foggy and 5.8GHz does not like fog, but we had some fun today 🙂
Sadly it is still gusty and wet over here, so we still wait for better weather.
Yesterday i picked some older videos and did another compilation: